Saturday 19 June 2021


BREATHE

 

Emptiness gained sentience;

Darkness blossomed sight.

The one roars in my still ear;

the other rages before

my sleeping eye.

Pictures begin to fade into

silence

scrawled across midnight

where Adhara’s hymn

to Infinity once rained silver

over jewelled verse

you read to a child who

yearned for home.

We looked up to the skies

to learn the ground

on which we stood, father.

A wan harp string

of moonlight

weeps into the under-sky

that is my world.

Black stars of pain stud

the cassias rising

…so unthinkingly pulmonary…

through the windless grey.

“I love you…”,

“Thank you, child…”,

you uttered, as air no more

lifted life.

Much speaks that never spoke

before…or am I

an awakened audient?

Do you now know

what language was before

tongues came to be?

Return to me, my father,

as a word that

breathes.

 

© 2021 Lilium Candidum

Lily’s Verse


Image: Moonlight view from Hammershus ruins on the island of Bornholm

Artist: Georg Emil Libert

Source: commons.wikimedia.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.