Wednesday 18 June 2014


JUNE'S GARDEN

Columbine and Ivorine mirthful laugh,

starlings their wagtail brethren carefree chaff,
bees totter, from fulsome feasts befuddled,
babes in mellow sunshine sport untroubled.

All, save I, Summer's sweet delights savour,

the rain alone would my unrest favour,
doleful I ache for my dearest at sea,
this foregone June he gave his heart to me.

Profusion of blooms paltry pleasure gives,

fain would I his ardent kisses relive,
retreat I seek, in yon grove would I hide,
for young men deride and my sisters chide.

"Wherefore would you repine 'mong Earth's jewels,

while all the land in Summer's warmth revels?
Sweet the linnets sing perched atop their nests!
Butterflies alight 'pon  peonies' breasts."

Here, ‘neath our own bow'r, copious tears I shed,

saline drops of sorrow souse the rosebed,
roots imbibe visions of him I adore,
my soul's secrets in tender buds immure.

Would your warm velvet blush my wan cheek paint?

My glad rejoicing, ‘tis merely a feint.
Your perfume my pain renders bittersweet,
shower blossoms 'pon us when next June we meet.

'Tis true, absence the sad heart makes fonder,

may Father Time grant our love grow stronger.
Great Zephyr, my epistle to him bear,
return with tidings of how my love fares.

© 2014 Lily's Verse

Lilium Candidum



Image: The Soul of the Rose

jwwaterhouse.com
Artist: John William Waterhouse

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful as always Lily! Lovely words:

    "Wherefore wouldst thou repine 'mong Earth's jewels,
    while all the land in Summer's warmth revels?
    Sweet the linnets sing perched atop their nests!
    Butterflies alight 'pon peonies' breasts."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear AJ, from the bottom of my heart. Your encouragement and affirmation mean so much. :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your new home! Your beautiful poetry certainly deserves it. May your pen (or should I say keyboard?) never run dry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Joab, for your encouragement and praise. :) I greatly appreciate your support.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.