Tuesday 24 June 2014


PRIMROSE

In the dappled light of yonder woods,
'mong show'rs of violet wisteria hoods,
'mid bright clusters of primrose pale,
on oceans of love we first did sail.

All that Spring did I walk on air,
wearing clouds of sunshine in my hair,
of joy e’er after did we dream,
to the sparkling music of the stream.

Thy rhymes did doves in blue skies trace,
long would I lie there, in thine embrace.
Tales we would tell the sweet summer breeze,
verse thou wouldst compose beneath the trees.

Ere long did wanderlust take hold,
want of adventure, ambitions bold,
thy cherished visions ne’er would I thwart,
to this alone would thee I exhort.

Go, seek thy fortunes where thou must,
thy troth to me thou wouldst keep, I trust.
Come home to me in early Spring,
bring thou, if thou willst, my wedding ring.

E’er shall I await thy return,
ardent suitors I gladly shall spurn.
"Tis thou who hast mine own heart’s key,
happy be, and safe, wait thou for me."

Spring did come, now Summer is gone,
Autumn endeth, t'would be Winter anon.
Yon riv’r my message shall bear to thee,
its grassy banks our true love did see.

This, I promise, my sacred truth,
when Nature weareth her vesture of youth,
'tis there shall I bide, ‘mong the flow'rs,
coiffed in blossom crown of pale gold stars.


© 2014 Lily's Verse

Lilium Candidum

Image: SPRING MAIDEN
source: http://josephdonaghy.wordpress.com
Artist: Sir Frank Dicksee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.