Friday 20 November 2015



BEAUTY VII


To Her, I pledged my devotion in
the damasked twilight,
amid mists reflecting Morning's
dappled, dreaming gold,
within the deepening shade of
Winter's penurious Sun,
by swirling eddies that were
Autumn's crypt.

At Her altars, I knelt through the
ages and Seasons,
where Daphnis and Chloe loved;
where Crocus, Hyacinth
and Anemone sprang from the
blood of Her favoured children;
where Orpheus wept for Eurydice;
where Clytie yet pines for Apollo.

At the sonneteer's feet, I learned
her ways, at the melodist's
and painter's, for She dwells, 
it is said, in the artist's aura.
My eyes wept my soul's joy to see
the sculptor at his craft, 
as he caressed the marble into life, 
for She guided his
worshipping hand, casting Her
divine shadow upon matter,
bestowing upon it Her light.

Over ancient, arcane tomes I pored, 
imbibing mystics' precepts
and meditations. Seers expounded 
Her spirit's devices in contradictions
and inversion; 
in the merging of paradoxes; 
in displacement and death, for such
hold promises of transition.

I see Her now in the Temple blaze and
the sacrificial flame;
in flowering and decay; in the eternal
sacred cycle that directs all Life.
Here shall I praise Her, till velvet tides 
bear me to Her Universal Shrine.



© 2015 Lily's Verse
Lilium Candidum

Image: PINE FOREST IN LIGOVO
Source: aria-art.ru
Artist: Ivan Shishkin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.