Thursday 20 November 2014


SWAN 

Bird of myth, fidelity incarnate,
paragon of love and grace,
Nephele's paeans my silver-white carved,
moonglow, my beguiling face.

Zephyrus' flight my plumage fashioned,
lilies' breath my curving neck,
my bill Helios' rays gold tinted,
eyes starlit onyx bedecked.

Eternal beloved of poets, scribes,
my heart Apollo's own sparked,
luminous emblems of harmony's light,
his birth my kin joyful marked.

The gods' winged bards o'er fair Leto's bed sang,
 golden notes 'pon her child show'red,
seven rings in flight o'er the city traced,
babe in reverence embow'red.

'Pon their wing he from Delos ascended,
'cross Elysian Fields traversed,
'pon Eridanos' banks they gathered,
the land in his song immersed.

Of celestial springs my forebears drank deep,
to purest beauty aspired,
Aphrodite's chariot thro' Heaven drew,
the Muses to praise inspired.

By and by Zeus his feathered choristers
to mortals' abode bequeathed,
for mankind from his darkness to restore
with fragrance his blossoms wreathed.

Alas, as to Earth's realm they descended,
gift of song were they denied,
mute in life, these fair harbingers of Spring,
soul's lays would chant as they died.

No mortal this bittersweet air shall hear
of Radiance no man descries,
sole infant hearts and the pure of spirit
this melody would agnise.

Quietus tho' our last cadences lament,
blissful undersong these threads,
the repining stream with sorrow brims
as Nature copious tears sheds.

Erelong shall death my inmost light release,
for my threnody to sing,
o'er rippling waters thro' my ebbing breath
and fading strength shall it ring.

In Heaven's gardens shall I e'er more dwell,
'pon limpid lakes blithesome float,
Apollo his lyre to my voice shall tune,
as rainbows chime in my throat.

© 2014 Lily's Verse
Lilium Candidum



Image: pics4twitts.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.