Wednesday 11 February 2015


DAPHNIS AND CHLOE

DAPHNIS’ TORMENT

Sweeter than honey her silken mouth,
gentle words soothe my pain,
alas, as a sting was Chloe's kiss,
yet, I would kiss again.

Oh, how my heart leaps, my pulse beats high,
nor food nor drink I crave,
icy brooks could not my blushes cool,
for her slim form they lave.

So long, fair maiden, have I been blind
your radiance now I see,
such pleasing anguish my soul fills o'er
this bitter victory!

Her name would I speak in cheerful dreams,
thro' ev'ry waking hour,
such mellifluence no lark could match,
her smile no earthly flower.

Lustrous eyes vast sunlit woods contain,
blithe laugh a mountain stream,
at her bidding barren valleys bloom,
spring's choicest hues they beam.

Spun gold tresses the sun would envy,
the Nymphs her milky skin,
tender as buds are her petal lips,
her breath to theirs akin.

Her gaze my spirit pensive renders,
silence my soul pervades,
this strange torment I cannot fathom,
Earth blooms, yet, Daphnis fades.

Nightingales' warbles no tunes inspire,
my pipes unwanted lie,
tho' Nature bids man springtide exalt, 
my heart would not comply.

Wherefore does languor overcome me?
Have I not gladly won
the ardour of Beauty's favoured child?
By joy am I undone.


© 2015 Lily's Verse
Lilium Candidum

Image source: www.satyrsandnymphs.com
Artist: Robert Poetzelberger

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.