Monday 9 February 2015


DAPHNIS AND CHLOE

EROS' ARROW


Every stone here rings, my Daphnis,
rocks chime paeans
the winds carved into them, rejoicing,
as the skies wrought our
souls from Nymphs' devotion and
the Muses' longing.

Swallows tune their songs to your
pipe, for 'tis the stars
that sing thro' your breath. Would
that I were a reed in
your instrument, that I may thrum
with your sweet music!
Would that you held my heart in your
hands, your gentle
fingers willing it to beat to the
rhythm of your own.

I have mastered your eyes, comely
youth! Their flamelets
of purest devotion, of constancy
and care dance in my own. 
Moonrays could not drown your
tawny orbs, for they hold
the Day Star.

My beacon would you be 'pon Earth's
darkest night. Enwrapped
in thy tender gaze I slumber 'neath
the oak, its caress dapples my skin,
warms my blood, cocoons my form.

Shall my life dim as the dying daylight?
The sinking orb's gold
stabs my being deeper each eventide,
rends this girl's heart of
fifteen Springs, for I shall be parted
from my own Sun,
from my Daphnis.

Sleepless, weeping, I know not why,
shall I await dawn's light.


© 2015 Lily's Verse
Lilium Candidum

Image: DAPHNIS AND CHLOE
Artist: Louis Hersent
Source: liveinternet.ru

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.