Tuesday 24 February 2015


VIOLET EYES

'Pon an early spring by a budding birch,
as a thrush sang 'pon her leafy perch,
'neath fairy skies of palest blue,
there I first 'spied the wonder of you.

'Twas as though the sun your tresses had spun,
your cheek the rose for its own had won,
my gaze 'pon your violet eyes fell,
the envy of blooms in wood and dell.

Your maiden stance held the promise of spring,
hope and joy to my soul did it bring,
as bluebells into wreaths you wrought,
your sunshine laughter the wov'n bands caught.

Ev'ry word you uttered blossomed and glowed,
an Angel's smile 'pon all you bestowed,
as infants you caressed I knew,
all the wise said of Heaven was true.

Your blithesome tune, pride of ev'ry songbird,
my spirit to greatest rapture stirred,
fair Muse, by one and all admir'd
a fledgling poet's first verse inspir'd.

Anon a youth thro' the woods trudging came,
his ardent aspect held passion's flame,
a flower'd crown you placed 'pon his head,
this swain that summer promised to wed.

Tho' young and old your espousal did cheer,
my tender heart broke your troth to hear,
for another your love had claimed,
fortune her favoured children had named.

Your nuptials summer with her bounty graced,
choicest hues the woodland chapel laced,
gaily you danced, a gleeful dame,
yet, foreboding my heart overcame.

As the seasons went by my sorrow healed,
glad bells and solemn o'er the land pealed,
in verse my ardour I confessed,
worship unreturned my quill had blessed.

Soon, wealth and renown my solitude crowned,
nor joy nor comfort in such I found,
violet eyes sparkled in my dreams,
by their radiance I filled endless reams.

Now, by their cold light I mourn words unsaid,
your colours lie strewn 'pon the riv'r bed,
Nature weeps, e'en songbirds are still,
for one so gentle was used so ill.

'Mid violets I rove, your laughter I hear,
as your loving kin prepare your bier,
in wood and dell my Muse I see,
how, pray, could I pen your elegy?


© 2015 Lily's Verse
Lilium Candidum

Image: APRIL LOVE
Source: commons.wikimedia.org
Artist: Arthur Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.