Friday 20 February 2015


FALLING FLOWERS


Such joy I found in falling flowers,
these descending stars,
fading sparklers bestrewing Earth
with the last scintillae
of their glow, their crowning
oblation to her glory!

Down the laburnum walk sunbeams
skipped, floated into
drifts of nodding blue monkshood,
wove through birches,
traced strands of lemon flamelets
with softly gilded kisses.

The serenity of Spring woodlands
alighted upon my pale
shoulders. Fate, this great sculptor
of life, bestowed upon
me a glimpse of the light she works
by, a freeing act of
mercy toward one bruised, blighted.

Those dark amber drops are now but
a memory, lucid enough
to sustain what life remains. I drink
deep of it with eternal
gratitude for its grace, for that

shining moment of respite
from lornness.

Aye, I am a voiceless suppliant in this
shrine to breath and
peace; yet, I shall repeat the litany of
falling flowers as I turn
to dust.


© 2015 Lily's Verse
Lilium Candidum

Image: LABURNUM WALK
Source: fineartamerica.com
Artist: Dorte Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.