Friday 29 August 2014



SENTENCED


A baneful maternal benediction as I lisped
my first syllable mentored my faltering
baby steps to perdition.

 To empty silences, I made vows of grey
ere reason bloomed,
solemn tenets branded upon my mourning
spirit, weeping scars never to heal.

An ashen sparrow among radiant songbirds
enshrouded in echoes of its own dirge
rends its pinions, mutes its song.

I meander, faceless, silently stealing 
frugal breaths, a spectre dwindling noiselessly, 
disregarding the air's gentle chiding.

Waxen words issue from my bloodless lips,
weave a cage of arabesques around 
my indistinct form, their steel tempered
in furnaces of my own helpless rage.

A lavender breeze blows through my ribs,
this fleshless form would hold scarce 
an atom of its scent.

Sallow waves flood my dreams, buffet my
dark white shape. I would be one with
this pallid ocean, never more to wake.


© 2014 Lily's Verse
Lilium Candidum

Image: THE SLEEP
Source: isaacpante.net
Artist: Alphonse Eugene Lecadre

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.