Tuesday 26 January 2016


BARE


Frosted concretions glisten through
the softness of snowy swells;
ever and anon, a bitter whiff tinges
Earth's silvern wreaths,
discarnate, yet gravid,
as the disenchantment of blossoms 
that perish by the Sun 
untouched;
not an inviolate, perennial malaise,
but a deep melancholy
afflicts our Mother,
inveigled into Her gaze and aspect
by Winter's breath.

It is not sorrow that rests heavy upon
my brow, nor the weight
of dotage that cumbers my limbs,
bows my spine.
Nay, it is Time's slow tread through 
this air heavy with decay,
these astringent fumes that freeze
the white soliloquy of stillness
in my throat.
Rime-rimmed leaves swirl around my
wistful feet, their dry, brown rasps 
echoing the Season's rhyme,
their spiral dance tracing the path
of the sacred cycle.

I ponder Earth's frigid, fleecy palls,
severe, unembellished,
shrouding her barrenness, as soon the
ground would my own.
Nay, Winter does not dissemble, 
nor does she sweeten her tenor with
divers hues and vignettes;
age and wisdom bid me seek her
desolate beauty, her eloquent quietude,
for therein to find my peace.
My eyes alone shall speak in her
formidable presence, flashing the light 
of storms to come, a light that sweeps
away the darkness before me.


© 2016 Lily's Verse
Lilium Candidum

Image: THE OLD WOMAN IN WINTER
Source: commons.wikimedia.org
Artist: Fernand Khnopff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.