Monday 11 January 2016



THE HERMIT


Countless prayers have I launched
into the ether upon flamelets
of my soul, since its desire I spoke
amid the dross of earthly life.
"A world of illusions lures all who
crave respite from strife,
a desolate hush of shadows where
dark oblivion awaits, where words
and steps fall thoughtless, astray.
I would follow the disdained beating
of Wisdom's solitary drum
into resplendent stillness, for among
sages to meditate upon
the Universe's ways,
for to attend the flow of Time's tides
through the Summer of life
past my rustic threshold.
What need have I of Ambition,
of one who strives to master himself
before Fate, endeavouring to find
meaning in his ceaseless struggle?
Truth and Beauty elude him;
rebirth by the unseen glow of the dark
moon shall he never know,
nor the futility of man-made words
that simulate Nature's sounds,
but not her voice, nor her essence.
How shall he construe being, who has
silenced his spirit?
I would explore the vital element of our
deathless souls,
the Light that subtends all Creation.
I would contemplate all, behold all,
beneath the skies of Eternity."

© 2016 Lily's Verse
Lilium Candidum

Image: THE HABITATION OF A HERMIT 
Source: commons.wikimedia.org
Artist: Apollinary Vasnetsov 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.