Friday 29 January 2016


ONE



Would that one beam of that lemon-kissed 
hellebore of waking dreams 
would smile upon my bereft brush!
Would that I could thread my loom with one
strand of that rippling azure veil!
Would that my heartstrings could splash
one note of the salt spray's 
silver-blue chords upon my stave!

I seek to capture Earth's storms of colour,
my mortal senses scouring
her swathes for their sagas and songs.
Yet, nor words nor pigment
could repeat the hues and tones of visions,
echoes of olden memories.

Nyx retreats, glancing darkly upon one who
would immortalise her treasures.
Nay, Goddess, my unversed hands find no
accord with a fractious canvas
that will not be sullied by counterfeit
moonglow and starlight.

Eos processes across its spotless expanse,  
coral banners of momentary victory
raised to the frowning trireme of the West,
anon yielding to mighty Helios,
undesirous of clinging to her past eminence.

Briny waters speak from turquoise depths,
the Song of Eternity upon their ancient breath.
I am a mere bubble upon their spume,
my mind and spirit housed in withering flesh,
enmeshed in a premise
of substance and separateness,
pondering posterity and permanence.

I shall contemplate the Universe's Art this Day,
the moment of glorious culmination, 
when strands of wind, light, spray and souls
shall be One.


© 2016 Lily's Verse
Lilium Candidum

Image: THE DAWN (edited)
Source: bouboum.net 
Artist: John La Farge 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.