Thursday 17 July 2014


AT TWILIGHT

Spotlights of God rays fade;

the volant chorus retreats,
lambent purity of its 
Golden notes lingers.

Twilight draws her heliotrope 

veil over sky and earth;
her ebony tresses she frees,
strewing tawny ribbons
on the horizon.
Downy pink drapes conceal
her trysts with stellar lovers.

There, Jupiter sparkles,

Antares below, 
Altair, rather diffident.
Vignettes of bygone days
haunt the shadows.

I count the stars 

as is my wont, defiant, 
heedless of the gloaming 
in my spirit. Here, I seek
my panacea.

I kneel before this sacred

moment when
light and dark entwine;
the twain in perfect accord, 
neither present nor absent,
weary of warfare 
proclaim a truce.

A sumptuous emptiness 

such as Nature ordained,
a cosmic stillness, restores 
my heart to myself,
gluts the lacunae in my soul. 
In that instant,
I am whole.

© 2014 Lily's Verse

Lilium Candidum

Image: HESPERUS AS THE PERSONIFICATION OF EVENING

Source: commons.wikimedia.org
Artist: Anton Raphael Mengs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.