Tuesday 1 July 2014


WEDDING DAY


In bluebell woods, my own dear beloved,
'neath leafed canopy would I thee wed,
in self-sewn trousseau garb-ed and glov-ed,
wildflower and myrtle wreath upon my head.

Diamonds I desir' not, nor golden ring,
no sericeous gown pale nor veil of lace,
only thy bride to be, here, in the Spring,
thy love for my nuptial band 'mid Earth's grace:

Lush blossom'd arbor our chapel sacred,
border of moss our velvet altar bless'd,
bridal aisle edged with cobblestones nacr-ed,
ancient woodland in purple carpets dress'd.

What need have I of flow'r girl and bridesmaid
when here Aspen, Hazel and Whitebeam stand,
in verdant skirts radiant splend’rous arrayed,
in hearts embower'd a warbling chorus grand?

My conjugal vows would I sing to thee,
no vers'd balladry, yet, ev'ry word true,
with breezes and birdsong in harmony,
my undying devotion pledge anew.

The ancient oak would our union anoint,
turtledoves our prayers to Heaven carry,
may all Nature sing, if God so appoint,
when, next Spring, in fragrant woods we marry.


© 2014 Lily's Verse
Lilium Candidum

Image: BLUEBELLS
Source: pinterest.com
Artist: Lawrence Alma-Tadema



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.