Thursday 10 July 2014


SONG OF THE SEA NYMPH

Here I dwell, in great Poseidon's realm,
maiden afflictions my heart overwhelm,
though men ceaseless of my beauty sing,
longing unrequited my soul doth wring.

Propitious am I to sailors brave,
fisherfolk I preserve from dangers grave,
splendid my silvery cavern home,
gaily I float 'neath a cerulean dome.

Glad would I leave my father's domain
for love of him who o'er my heart doth reign,
queen of his kingdom would I be crowned,
treasures I crave not, tho' here they abound.

Pining, I affirm my heart's desire,
as my sisters beguile on harp and lyre,
o'er waves, golden sands, my airs resound,
melded with his tune from yon cliffs rebound.

Apollonios mine, thy kiss I crave,
Wouldst thou 'pon thy heartstrings 'Eunice' engrave?
Hasten, fair youth! 'Tis thee would I wed,
sole with thine entwine my earthly life's thread.


© 2014 Lily's Verse
Lilium Candidum

Image: Sea Nymph (edited)

galleryhip.com
Artist: Norman Prescott-Davies

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.